Thick and wavy hair can be hard to handle and some people view it as somewhat of a curse. However, embracing these luxurious locks can be easy and quite rewarding. The first step in creating the perfect hairstyles for thick wavy hair is to find a great hairdresser. A stylist who is experienced in full volume and naturally wavy tresses can provide a cut that is ideal for creating beautiful hairstyles. There are several things to keep in mind when styling thick hair that will keep it from looking frizzy, wild and simply out of control.
Basic Techniques For Hairstyles For Thick Wavy Hair
- Use cold water for washing hair. The colder temperature allows hair to retain more moisture, have less frizz and maintain a healthy shine.
- When combing through dry hair, always use fingers instead of a brush. This will also keep down the frizziness.
- If you must blow dry your hair, use a diffuser on the dryer. This prevents the hair from getting frizzy and creates less damage. When possible, letting hair air dry is best.
- Use the right amount of product. Too much product will weigh down hair and cause excessive build-up. Build-up takes away from the shine and overall health of your hair.
- Choose shampoo and conditioner that is designed to work on thick and wavy hairstyles. This ensures that the hair will be left feeling soft and healthy.
If you are blessed with thick hair full of waves you may to want to simply flatten or straighten it. You may also want to simply cut it off to keep from having to deal with the long process of blow drying and styling. Fortunately, there are several short hairstyles for thick wavy hair that are quite flattering. Short styles can be easier, quicker and sassier than long cuts.
This spunky cropped cut ranks high amongst short hairstyles for thick hair, wavy hair. It is best styled using a type of molding paste. This product will define shape while adding a beautiful shine. This style is low maintenance, carefree and adds a feminine touch to a short hair design.
The bob is a very common and popular short hairstyle. It has a textured and choppy look that is flirty and fun. The chopped layers work to remove excess volume and make the hair very easy to handle. A chin-length bob is a spectacular look for any occasion whether it is a formal or casual affair.
If you choose to embrace the chaos and keep your hair long in length, there are several styles that will be perfect. Make sure you consider your face shape as certain hairstyles for thick wavy hair accent features and highlight bone structure in various ways.
Long Glamorous Waves
Starting with day-old hair, use the texturing spray from scalp to the ends of your hair. Set your strands in hot rollers and spray with an intensive hold hair spray. After the rollers cool completely, unravel them and use your fingers to tousle your hair.
For a more carefree look, use freshly washed hair that has been simply toweling dried. Use a volumizing spray at the roots. After your hair has completely dried, work paste through the waves to separate and define. This look takes your natural waves and transforms them into a feminine and sophisticated style.
While trying to create the best hairstyles for thick wavy hair, there are several things to avoid. Stay away from thinning shears as they can result in fuzzy and split ends. In long styles, choppy layers and add excessive volume and create an unruly cut. Finally, avoid styling products that contain alcohol. These choices promote dryness and frizzy tresses.